Friday, January 11, 2013

Comparing MathML support in HTML5 between Chrome 24, Firefox 18 and Opera 12

Yesterday Google was releasing Google Chrome 24 stable which should have native MathML support. I waited for this release for a long time because Chrome is my standard browser and I know Firefox does a very good job with MathML since Firefox 3.

So I tested Chrome 24 with this MathML browser test site: https://eyeasme.com/Joe/MathML/MathML_browser_test

First I was very excited because the first examples looked promising and right in Chrome. But when looking at more complex MathML Chrome rendered it wrong.

I installed Chromium Dev 26.0.1380.0 and I was hoping the Chromium team already fixed it. But my hope did not lasted long. Chromium 26 was showing me the same results as Chrome 24. This bug is already reported to Chromium's bug tracker (star it if you're interested in a fix).

I recently installed also Opera just to cover the last to me known modern browser which supports MathML natively (winkwink Internet Explorer). Opera had the most issues with rendering and some serious font problems with MathML on my Ubuntu machine.

So I guess we still need to use the very good MathJax JS library for a longer time to display all kind of MathML right in every browser except Firefox.

Result:

  •  Firefox: Very good, near perfect native MathML support.
  •  Chrome: Partial MathML support.
  •  Opera: Partial MathML support but too many rendering issues.
  •  Internet Explorer: No MathML support!

But see the rendered browser results yourself:


UPDATE: Here is a direct link to the picture to see the results in big (2696x1872).

6 comments:

Seth Sevenyoln said...

I have to say, Opera rendered it fine for me. I love Opera.

Frédéric Wang said...

It looks like you miss some mathematical fonts...

Try

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla_MathML_Project/Fonts/Test (with Firefox)

and follow the instructions here:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla_MathML_Project/Fonts

That should improve the rendering with Webkit & Gecko browsers...

Marvin Reimer said...

Thanks Frederic. I will try this font thing out. Nevertheless I think a normal user will not reinstall fonts just for viewing a website with Math in it :-/

David Carlisle said...

MathML is gone from Chrome 25 (although hopefully it will come back) however the mmultiscripts rendering was not so much a bug as just documented incomplete coverage. It was already logged by the core developer as https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=99618

Paul Topping said...

Your story on Internet Explorer's support for MathML is incomplete. Our MathPlayer product (www.dessci.com/mathplayer) is a free plugin for IE that has provided high-quality and high-performance MathML support in IE for years. It is true that recent versions of IE disable plugins but we are hoping that Microsoft comes to its senses and enables MathPlayer to work in the future or talks to us about integrating our code into IE.

Marvin R. said...

I will post an update soon this month